Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Here's hoping...

Hello.  My name is Megan and I am going to be turning 29 shortly.  I am super fortunate in so many ways: I have an amazing husband, Mac, an amazing family, amazing friends and a steady job in my field that makes me happy.  However, I, like many people have been wanting to lose weight for a while.  I'm hoping that if I write down what I do and ADMIT to what I do, it will help me lose weight, eat better, work out regularly and ultimately, I will be thin by 30.  One year.  

For years, I was a size 8.  I had a couple 6's and a few 10's.  I was fortunate, because I don't think I worked very hard to maintain my size.  I was just blessed with curves that were acceptable, and I was super proud and super confidant. 

Now I am not so confidant.  Between 2006 and 2007, during my third year of teaching, I started gaining weight, rapidly.  I literally went from a healthy size 10 to a size 14/16 in what I felt was overnight.  I felt like my body had exploded, and I didn't like it at all.  I still don't like it.  I lost a little over 20 lbs. before my wedding in 2010 thanks to the support of my mom and Jenny Craig.  I started feeling better and it was awesome.  I had less of a tummy and my face got smaller.  I got compliments and had more energy.  However, I am ashamed to say I put it all back on and then some.

I do NOT want to be skinny.  It's just not for me and I think I'd look stupid.  I just want to be healthy and feel better.  I'm not asking for size 6 clothes again, but I've held on to some size 8's that I can't let go of.  Don't most people do that?  

I do NOT want to do some crazy diet where I can't eat certain things, like carbs, meat or cheese.  I roll my eyes as I'm typing this, but I love food.  My whole family does, and anyone who has visited them knows this.  Dave and Frannie (Dad and Mom) will feed you until you feel like a stuffed sausage, but they are not big people.  A typical Kelly evening after a day at the beach goes like this:

Frannie (mom): Megan and Mac, do you want some chips and salsa?
Mac (husband): Sure.
Megan (me): No thanks.
Frannie: Ashley and Andrew, will you eat some bruschetta?
Ashley (sister): Sure.
Andrew (sister's bf): Your family eats more bread than anyone I know.
Frannie: Will you guys eat some cheese and crackers?
Megan: Sure.
Dave (dad): Hey guys, we're going to have ribs in a little bit, is that ok?
m&m and a&a: Oh my gosh.  Ok, sure.
Frannie: I have veggies I can cut up too!

Now, just because it's offered doesn't mean you have to eat all of it, right?  Here are some things I am going to try to learn, master, keep up with, learn and master again over the course of a year...
  • Eat three meals everyday.
  • Work out 4x per week: mostly cardio.
  • No more than 2 sodas per day.
  • All other beverages must be water, except on special occasions, which should not happen weekly. 
  • Snacks may be: fruits, veggies, pretzels, reduced fat wheat thins, reduced fat string cheese.
 This may be boring at first, but I know I lost weight before, and following the above will help.  It might even work.  Here's hoping...

No comments:

Post a Comment