Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Left the 200s.

I did it. Lost 3.9 pounds, weighed in at 199.5 and broke the twos. Phewf. That was fun. I really hope to never visit them again. Really. Again, nothing wrong with being in the 200s, but I don't believe my body is built for that number. So, down we go.

I've been thinking about how glad I am that I shared my weight. Initially I shared it for selfish reasons. (The good kind of selfish, if that makes sense.) I am a somewhat logical person, so seeing the actual number go down vs. "I lost 2 lbs, I lost .8 lbs," etc. seemed easier. I also shared it because what's the point of having a honest blog with an elephant in the room? I viewed my weight as the elephant. Now that Dumbo has been out of the closet for a while, we can all move on.

You know why I'm really happy I shared my weight now? Because I like to think it made one person feel better about themselves or their own weight. I don't know who that person is. I don't know other peoples' weights. Weight is a VERY PERSONAL matter and it's totally a private thing. Am I embarrassed that some of my guy friends who tower over me weigh the same as or less than I do? Eh. It used to. But it doesn't necessarily bother me. Weight means something different for everyone. You can be 5' and 200, 5'5" and 200 and 6' and 200, and not one person will look even remotely the same. I bet two people the same height can each weigh 200 and look different due to shapes. It's amazing.

Anyways, back on track. What if there was someone else out there who was unsure of themselves because of their weight, got bored for a hot second and read my blog? What if it put a smile on their face because they are either a) not as big as me, or b) my weight? What if that one person felt like there was someone else they could relate to, i.e. Megan? How freaking cool is that? I know it makes me happy. Every time someone has told me, texted me, facebooked me, called me or emailed me to tell me how they or someone they know has "been there"... well it's just fantastic. Safety in numbers, for sure.

Lastly, want to know kind of a weird day dream of mine? Of course you do. For everyone to walk around with a sign on them giving their weight. Again, I get that it's personal, but how liberating would that be? I also think most of us would be shocked by other's weights. Maybe I'm just not good at guessing, but it could be kind of fun?

Ok, scratch that last paragraph. If I asked people to do that in Philly, they'd throw beer bottles at me, ever so appropriately.

p.s. It was really fun when I typed my weight on the side bar. I accidentally started with 2, then had to backspace to type 1. That made me smile. :)

5 comments: