Thursday, August 4, 2011

Vacation

Well it's official.  I turned 29 a few days ago, and now I literally have something like 360 days to get thin.  But the thing is, I'm on vacation.  :)

Last Friday morning, Mac and I flew down to my parents place in Murrells Inlet, South Carolina.  It's the land of sun, sand, boating, swimming, fishing, eating, drinking, and then repeat.  So much fun and I'm so lucky to have such a fantastic family.  If I ever have children, I want to have more than one, simply because my sister and I are so close.  I also hope to be as good as my parents have been to us.  Without airing too much dirty laundry, I will politely say that they each had difficult childhoods in my opinion.  It is, without a doubt, my parents and they alone who have made our family what it is.  Ashley and I were/are equally loved, supported and cared for in the most impressive ways.  They are each amazing people and role models, and I simply wouldn't be where I am today without them. 

Without my dad, I wouldn't have the passion for sports that I do.  I am crazy about the Philadelphia Eagles, and I can distinctively remember him yelling at the TV, calling them "filthy, stinkin' bums", when I was younger.  I wouldn't be able to burp as fantastically as I can, get tan, get my Irish up when needed, throw a ball, catch a ball, play golf, wash a car, comb my hair, swim, parallel park an SUV, and about a million other traits if I didn't have the amazing father that I do.




Without my mom, I may not be teaching music.  My mom used to play the piano, and she was also a cheerleader.  This line has forever stayed with me: "Megan, I should have stuck with piano, because in your 40s, you can't do a split, but you can still play piano."  When I quit band in 8th grade, she pushed me to take private lessons, and now I love teaching music.   I wouldn't cry at movies, kiss and hug everyone I know, make hospital corners on beds, adore china and crystal, clean exceptionally well, get yippy when I'm excited, swim or have any sense of class without my mom.  (For example, I can burp really well, but I would not do it when out to dinner.)

To keep the speech going, here's Ashely:  Clear as a bell, I remember her coming home from the salon one day after she gradated high school.  A haircut was all it took?!  It was like a model walked into the room.  She was always cute, and pretty, but just when did my sister become a drop dead gorgeous model?  Overnight, duh.  I'm still waiting for that beauty rest to kick in with me.  No, seriously, without Ashley, I wouldn't know what a best friend is.  I mean, I have best friends, but you know how it is when you've got that one.  I wouldn't laugh as much, wouldn't cry as much, would wear black and brown and navy all in the same outfit, wouldn't use a straightener or curling iron, wouldn't wear makeup, and would without a doubt, be more neurotic than I already am.

Ultimately, I love visiting my family.  :)  AND, I only gained 1 pound.  Great success!

Friday, July 29, 2011 (my birthday!) (hopped on my parents scale, it said I was 5 lbs. lighter.  I stopped using it because I was afraid of thinking that way)
  • chocolate chip muffin at airport after big fight with airline about checked baggage
  • diet coke
  • banana
  • wheat thins
  • out to bday dinner at Charleston Cafe...
  • roll with butter
  • caesar salad
  • potato soup
  • diet coke
  • chicken stuffed with crab
  • baked potato with butter
  • green beans
  • 3 glasses white wine
  • 2 rum and diet cokes
  • 1 shot of jager
  • chicken stuffed with crab
  • 1 piece cake
  • 2 reeces cups (do not remember eating them)
Oh my gosh, why do I think I turned 21?  It was a fun, fun night.

Saturday, July 30, 2011
  • 100 calorie pack cool ranch doritos
  • bologna & cheese sandwich on wheat bread, no mayo
  • diet coke
  • salad with fat free thousand island dressing
  • diet coke
  • 1 crab cake
  • broiled with fish with lemon
  • corn on the cob
  • 1 piece of cake
Sunday, July 31, 2011
  • blueberry buckle (homemade by mom, Duncan Hines recipe, AMAZING)
  • scrambled eggs
  • 1 sausage link
  • diet coke
  • pretzels
  • carrots
  • reduced fat wheat thins and cut up cheese
  • diet coke
  • chicken italiano - chicken in crockpot with tomatoes and onions and peppers
  • angel hair pasta
  • salad with fat free thousand island dressing
  • 1 piece of cake
Monday, August 1, 2011
  • blueberry buckle
  • leftover chicken italiano
  • no idea what else i ate, bc i was lazy and didn't write it down.  and now it's thursday.
Tuesday, August 2, 2011 (daddy's birthday!)
  • blueberry buckle
  • 1/2 turkey sandwich on wheat bread, no mayo
  • banana
  • reduced fat wheat thins and cut up cheese (monterey jack)
  • out to dinner at Dockside....
  • 3 glasses white wine
  • 1 piece bread with butter
  • hushpuppies with amazing strawberry butter
  • 5 grilled scallops with oregano lemon oil
  • 5 grilled shrimp with oregano lemon oil
  • 1/2 beer
  • 1 piece of cake
  • 1 bag of snackwell caramel popcorn drizzled with chocolate (delicious 130 calorie snack, recommendation from my coworker, Precious)
Wednesday, August 3, 2011
  • blueberry buckle
  • diet coke
  • reduced fat wheat thins with cut up cheese
  • hot dog
  • 1/2 cup baked beans
  • snackwell popcorn
  • diet coke
  • tortilla chips
  • 3 pieces Godvia mint choc. chip bar
Now I am back home for a couple days before heading off to Ocean Isle Beach, NC with 7 of my favorite people.  The AMAZING news is that I am only 1 pound heavier than when I left for my parents!  I didn't "watch" myself, but I didn't stuff myself either.  I literally felt like I was on vacation, and to have only gained a pound feels like a triumph for me.  Since I wasn't here on Tuesday, I'll detail my weight along the side via today, Thursday.  Then I'll get back on track with the Tuesdays.

The next week is going to be rough.  It's myself, Mac, and 6 of our best friends from college.  We've been going to the same house for 7 years now, and it's a week filled with outstanding food, drinking as if we're still in college, snacking, games, drinking, eating and more of the same.  It's so fun and hopefully all the laughing I do while I'm there will burn away the calories.  I'd like to say I'll go on walks, but it's vacation.  I'd like to say I won't snack, but it's vacation.  I'd like to say I'll journal what I eat, but it's vacation.  I'm feeling seesaw-like, not knowing which way to go, yet hoping I can balance in the middle.  This is my big vacation of the year, and while I don't want to undo what I've worked for, I realize that I am the queen of excuses- it's vacation.

Disclaimer, as usual.  I wrote a lot about my family, and all the pictures are from my wedding.  That is because, it's been my favorite day of my life. 

And while I clearly love my family, I'm so fortunate to have married my best friend.  Mac is so supportive, and has really helped me with this blog.  He deals with me on a DAILY basis, and I'm just really lucky.  I love you Mac.  Thank you for being my rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment