Thursday, August 18, 2011

Success, then fail.

I was on vacation for pretty much the first half of August.  (Really lucky.)  I was in Murrells Inlet, SC for almost a week at my parents, then home in MD for two days, then back to the beach for another week- Ocean Isle Beach, NC.  I already wrote about my experience in SC, so let me detail what happened in NC.
To shed some light on the Ocean Isle trip, it is Mac, me, and some of our best friends from college along with their significant others.  We live in a beach house for a week and try to pretend we're all 21 again.  We've been going for 8 years now, and it is always my best and worst week of eating of the entire year.  Everyone cooks a good meal one night (per person or couple) and then we usually have 1 or 2 nights out.  The food is amazing, but try having Thanksgiving on Monday, Christmas on Tuesday, and repeat for the rest of the week.  You're FULL.  But the food is so good, so you stuff yourself and save the fat pants for the end of the week.  I will say that's a nice thing about bathing suits.  It may not look great, especially by Friday, but elastic is nice.  No judgments among the group either.  At least not about size.  I didn't bring my scale, or my journal, but I can pretty much scramble things together...


OIB 2011 - drive to Elon, meet amazing best friends, eat at Wings to Go, honey bbq wings, fried chips with ranch and corn nuggets, beer, Cook out shake on the way home, good homecooked breakfast the next morning by Kristin's family, white chedder cheetos on the way to the beach...
  • Sunday night - pizza, garlic knots and lots of beer
  • Monday - 1 mile walk on the beach
  • Monday night - stuffed peppers, bread, White Russians/beer
  • Tuesday - 1 mile walk on the beach
  • Tuesday night - jambalaya, corn bread, corn, green beans, white russians/beer
  • Wednesday - 4 mile walk on the beach BOOYA.
  • Wednesday night - dinner out at Sugar Shack: coconut battered shrimp, jerk pork and goat, corn bread and burger with fries/beer at home
  • Thursday - no walk on beach, beached myself in the water like a whale
  • Thursday night - Peruvian meat and potato dish, salad, beer/white russians
  • Friday - no beach walk, still counting 4 mile walk as if I can divide up miles among days.
  • Friday night - stir fry, then Twister and yoga (kind of)
  • Saturday - 1 mile walk on the beach
  • Saturday night - Barefoot contessa mac and cheese with add your own toppings (including sausage, bacon, peas, jalopeno peppers, tomatoes, broccoli), ice cream for dessert 
  • Sunday - leave for home, peanut butter m&ms and mac and cheese for breakfast, cookout chicken sandwich and shake, kettle corn & perogies for dinner
  • other things eaten during the week: low fat yogurt with granola, celery and carrots with dip, scrambled eggs, cheese omelet, white chedder cheetos, peanut butter m&ms, homemade choc. chip cookies, homemade chocolate cake, skinny cow ice cream sandwich, honey mustard and onion pretzels, regular m&ms, pizza rolls, both pepperoni and combination, kettle corn, gold fish, and shots of various liquors.  Huge news: with all that, NO ONE GOT SICK.  ALL WEEK.
EVEN BIGGER NEWS: I gained half a pound.
However, I don't know how that happened, and I didn't deserve that kind of reward.  I was hoping for 5 and under.  Shit, did you see all the stuff we ate?  Good GOD.  So I walked a little bit.  Something is wrong with me.  I am trying to forget about only gaining half a pound, because I can't go on thinking that the way we stuff ourselves at the beach is ok.  I definitely ate poorly there, but it's more of a group effort.  And also huge news: 2 members of the group are now in their THIRTIES.



    Now it's a few days later.  School has started (no kids yet), and I did VERY well for the first few days, considering my body could have been in shock from lack of FATTY foods.  I didn't work out, but in my defense, I took a very long nap on Monday after school, worked at PB after school on Tuesday, hung out with Tim on Wednesday, and taught lessons tonight after school.  Bad news: Last night, I ate poorly, then drank beer (hello, I DONT have students this week), then made homemade chocolate chip cookies.  FAIL MEGAN.  Fail.


Monday, August 15, 2011 
210 lbs.
  • ham & cheese omelet made at staff mtg. for school
  • 1/2 chocolate chip muffin
  • 2 miniature baby ruths
  • diet coke
  • peppercorn turkey with chz on rye with light mayo
  • diet coke
  • Ritz crackerful bar
  • 4 HOUR NAP, body is in shock from being up so early
  • potato and cheese perogis
  • 4 slices american cheese
  • snackwell popcorn
Not great, but could have been worse.  Worst parts: no veggies, no fruit, no exercise


Tuesday, August 16, 2011
210 lbs.
  • cheerios
  • diet coke
  • fried chicken (lunch was served at school)
  • egg/potato salad
  • roll the size of my palm
  • ritz crackerful
  • diet coke
  • snackwell popcorn
  • marchones italian sub with l. mayo
  • 1 piece godiva chocolate
Wednesday, Augst 17, 2011
210 lbs.
  • cheerios
  • regular coke (3 hr. workshop, no diets in machine, was mad, but not mad enough to not have caffiene)
  • crackerful
  • regular coke
  • turkey and cheese sandwich on rye bread with light mayo
  • hard times cafe with tim: two blue moons, santa fe egg rolls, chili with cheese, and corn bread
  • come home, have another beer, make cookies
  • eat cookies (maybe 5)
Thursday, August 18, 2011
212 lbs.  (What exactly did I think would happen?)
  • cheerios
  • diet coke
  • salami and cheese sandwich on rye with light mayo
  • diet coke
  • carrots
  • ritz crackerful
  • on the way home from lessons, there was a light out at an intersection.  i pulled up and stopped, and 3 cops were directing traffic.  i realized i wished i was 1 lane over, in the turning lane, so when the cops gestured for people to turn, i put on my blinker, waited for everyone else to go, then crept into the turning lane on my left turn signal, and turned left through the intersection, as the one cop waved me on.  Halfway through the intersection, the other cop stood in front of my car, yelling at me and waving.  Then I stopped, and he waved me on, so I moved, then he banged on my window.  I am still in the middle of the intersection at this point.  I roll it down and he yelled at me, "I didn't tell you that you could make a turn from a straight lane!  I know it's confusing with lights out, but I don't want you to get yourself or someone else killed out here!  Okay?!  Thank you!"  Walks away.  I did not respond, bc although I can HANDLE confrontation, I don't like getting yelled at, especially by an authoritative figure.  So I cried the WHOLE way home.  I could have said "The other cop told me to go," but I'm pretty sure he didn't want to hear my voice, I'm pretty sure I should have just gone straight and flipped a bitch later on, and I'm pretty sure I would have been hard to understand what with the pre-sobs causing my chest to heave.  And hello, he's a COP.  I respect cops, a lot.  Having a discussion with a cop in the middle of an intersection (at Connecticut and Randolph, mind you) is not a good idea, and knowing my luck at times, it could have turned into a ticket.
 
So after crying for about 20 minutes (other things on my mind too, most of all my Aunt Sally who is very ill), I came upstairs, decided not to go to the gym, ate about 10 chocolate chip cookies and watched Hoarders.  You know how if something sad is already happening in your life, and then something little happens, like you stub your toe, or get yelled at by a cop, you're all of a sudden in hysterics?  That's me right now.  I'm wearing sneakers to try to not have a meltdown if I stub my toe.

Ultimately, I was kind of successful for a few days.  I made a sandwich every night so I wouldn't go out for lunch.  I packed snacks so not to hit the vending machines.  I drank lots of water, although I should drink even more.  And then tonight.  Cookies.  This is why I don't bake until like November.  Fail Megan, fail.  Back on the bandwagon.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment