Thursday, April 19, 2012

Procrastination

I'm a huge procrastinator. I can only think of a few things in my life I haven't waited until the last second to complete: my arranging project, my recitals and my technology portfolio. Those things were just too big to put off. I completed them while in college.

I often host with wet hair because I'm showering 10 minutes before people come over due to the fact that I spent the whole day cleaning.

I get up for school at the last possible minute. Partly because I'm so sleepy, and partly because I can get ready quickly when I have to.

I waited a long time to get my wedding dress. I looked for a long time as well. Mac and I only tasted and ordered our cake on the Tuesday before our wedding. :)

I'm procrastinating on this weight loss thing. Clearly. Hello, my blog says "thin by thirty." THIN?! Actually, people have different opinions of what thin is. I do still believe I can get there. I actually believe I can get there by my birthday. I actually believe that losing 40 pounds can still happen. I may be foolish, but it's what I believe.

Here's the thing. My arranging project, my recitals and my technology portfolio were far from perfect. I mean, I passed. I got pretty decent grades. But perfect? Nope. I am still proud of those accomplishments, and anyone who did them in college should be. They're HARD. They were so very hard.

Weight loss is also SO VERY HARD. I went to my parents in SC over spring break. I did ok in the beginning. I asked my mom very bluntly if she thought I was over-eating. She told me not at all. Sweet! :) By the end of spring break though, I think I had drunk three bottls of wine, eaten a bunch of cheesecake and started drinking a couple regular cokes. Let's call those things "treats." I also didn't work out.

I came back last week, and I still didn't work out. Suffice it to say I was exhausted. I'm a night person, so over breaks, I start staying up late and sleeping in. Combine that with trying to get back on track to a school schedule, and allergy season, and I was a mess. I took naps after school, had a couple nose bleeds, my eyes were bloodshot for a little bit and I had a headache that lasted days. Uch. Spring. I love and hate you.

So, now it's Thursday night, and if I want to work out three (not even four) times this week, I have to go to the gym tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday. No qualms about it. I keep saying I have to eat better, work out, cut back, be disciplined. I mean all those things. Why am I not delivering?

I'm procrastinating, I guess. And I'm STUBBORN.

I totally believe weight loss programs can work. Jenny Craig worked for me in that I lost weight, without even working out. I learned lots of things. However, I'm being really stubborn right now and telling myself I can do this without the help of a program. I want to make decisions that I can keep up with in a year, five years and ten years. I want to literally change my diet. And by diet, I mean food I eat. No more overeating. Treats, sure. Not too many treats. Gym, definitely. I felt so good when I was working out. I want this to be a lifestyle change.

Last week I was pretty negative. Dare I say, unpleasant. I was tired and cranky. Guess what? No gym either. Funny how that works out.

I am also dealing with two major stresses right now. One is a work thing. My job is not totally secure. That makes me really scared. I'm procrastinating in talking to my bosses about my fears. The other is this blog thing. I go from feeling confident to foolish to guilty to strong to insecure to apathetic to embarassed to right now. Hopeful.

All of these stresses take a toll on my body. (Really, who doesn't have stress take a toll on their body?) I don't break out. I don't lose weight. I get ulcers in my mouth. My tongue swells (ew), and I have trouble eating and speaking correctly. I also eat for comfort. Um. Hmm. Not good Megan.

I may not want the help of a program, but oddly enough, writing this post has already made me feel better. I guess that's why I started, and it's good to remind myself. I may also go back to journaling, because I think at this point, it's important for me to see what I'm eating in a day.

Sorry if any of this seems needy. Again, thank you to anyone who read this long post. I know other people out there feel the same way.

2 comments:

  1. Won't let me post on the side, but last week I weighed 217 and this week 215.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan,

    I'm enjoying your blog:) Thanks for sharing all that you are going through! I'm sorry you had to go through all you have to get where you are, like the awful health insurance letter. That must have beeen so awful. And I am so glad I don't work for BCBS.;)

    I have been forced to eat ridiculously well thanks to my pregnancies- I have to watch my blood sugar. It's been a great starter for me to realize how much crap I was really eating before I took a good look at my diet. Then, afte rour first was born, he was allergic to soy and dairy for his first year...let's just say not eating any soy or dairy pretty much was a weight loss plan in itself. Soy and milk is in EVERYTHING!

    I'm looking forward to your continued inspiration once our little guy is born in September- then I am training for the "Iron Girl." I feel like sports/gym is the only thing that keeps me from gaining now that I have the diet a little more under control.

    I stopped drinking soda when I was first pregnant, and that has helped me SO MUCH. We make our own seltzer and put just a splash of juice in it- it comes so close to soda that I am pretty much done with soda for life, maybe allowing myself to have some once every few months as a treat.

    Keep going girl- keep eliminating sugary processed stuff and finding awesome alternatives...at least that's what worked for me. Crave sugar? Try prunes, dried fruit, trail mix, protein bar or granola bar over the pure suagry desserts if you can.

    Lots of luck and love to you!:) <3

    Tara

    ReplyDelete