Monday, April 23, 2012

Joining a program

I’ve made an appointment with Jenny Craig. As dramatic as this may sound, I went through several emotional stages to get to this point.

The “no way Jose” stage:
I can do this weight loss thing on my own. I am smart. This will be easy! Just eat well and work out. I definitely don’t need a program to lose weight. I did before, but not anymore!

The “See I told you I could do it” stage:
I lost a few pounds. I worked out. I didn’t eat that badly. I journaled. So there. I proved it to myself.

The “I’m so confused why I’m not losing weight as I gobble m&ms” stage:
The scale goes up and down a few pounds. I still go to the gym, but am not really losing any weight. I feel strong, but because I’m doing such a good job at the gym, I reward myself, too much and too often.

The “angry” stage:
What the hell man. I’m working my butt off at the gym. This is ridiculous!

The “defeated” stage:
I should not have started such a public blog. I feel the urge to lie about my weight on my blog and then catch up behind it. (I have never lied about my weight on the blog.) I stop going to the gym. I lose energy and motivation. I am procrastinating, but I haven’t totally given up. Yes, I am aware 30 is right around the freaking corner.

The “ok, maybe I need help” stage:
Self-explanatory. I feel embarrassed and a little foolish. Programs work great, but why do I need one when I clearly know what is wrong and right? Why do I make bad choices?

The “curiosity” stage:
Research Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig. Maybe I should do a program. Look how well they work for everyone else, and quite frankly, it worked for me. At that time. The only reason I gained weight back is because I started ignoring everything I had learned and I stopped weighing myself.

The “I’m doing this come hell or high water” stage:
I decide to do Jenny Craig. It is ridiculously easy. Not thinking about meals or preparing things is kind of nice sometimes. I have a good history with Jenny Craig. I don’t think I’m strong enough to do Weight Watchers, where you can eat whatever you want. I think it’s an amazing program, but again, I don’t think I’m strong enough to have “anything I want” in the house. I know what you’re thinking. “Just don’t buy the bad stuff, Megan.” Well, you’re right. However, you haven’t experienced me in a grocery store. Sometimes I make noise out LOUD when I pass the Mint Milanos.

So this is where I am right now. I signed up for Jenny Craig. I have an appointment this afternoon at 4:00. It’s at the same center I went to before. I truly adored the consultants and while I got sick of some of the food, I got kind of excited seeing some of it again in an online menu. Some of their stuff is really good. I would buy it in a grocery store over Lean Cuisines any day. Some of their stuff is really bad.

I had to do a budget for this. I’m going to try to do it in under $300 per month. Their food is expensive. I think I’ll be buying lunch on my own though. I can make a good lunch for school. Tuna salad, chicken salad, sandwiches, regular salads. I can do that on my own and truthfully, their lunches are not that hot, in my opinion.

At the grocery store, the only groceries I will have to buy are lunch items, diet soda, veggies and fruit. That is not so bad. I will allow myself to go out to dinner once a week if something is planned. I’m not going to deprive myself. I know that sounds weird, but I truly feel like this is the best decision for me right now. I have realized that perhaps I am not strong enough to lose weight on my own. That thought really upset me in the beginning, but now… meh. Don’t care about the pride factor as much. Again, I lost weight before with this program, and I wasn’t even working out. Hopefully, I will be back to working out ANY DAY NOW, and that, combined with the program will do the trick.

I know it’s not a trick. I know there’s no secret to losing weight. I know that I won’t eat Jenny Craig for the rest of my life. I know I will have to work to maintain any weight I do lose.

I believe I can lose 10 pounds per month. That is about 2.5 pounds per week, and that is a healthy amount. I will probably be hungry in the beginning, but sometimes, when my stomach growls, I like to think it’s eating itself.  I also believe that if I had to be in the Hunger Games, I could survive for a little bit, because, I have some insulation. I am chubby Katniss. And, just like her, I support archery. (Side note, I am terrified of guns. Will never allow one in the house. Mac asked if we could have a taser. Hell to the no. I could see friends (including me) having a few drinks and deciding to try it out. However, I did tell Mac we could have a bow and arrow. That’s right. Then I told him, “You’re welcome.”)







I’m kind of glad I’m going back to something familiar. I feel like I know deep down that it will work. It’s like going back to your same vacation spot or watching your favorite movie. Amazing, every time. Ok, well maybe not amazing. But it’s reliable.

The bottom line is that if I am successful with Jenny Craig, I will be so happy. I will be healthier. I will be proud of myself, because program or no program, losing wieght is not easy, and whenever someone accomplishes a healthy weight loss, they should be congratulated.

No comments:

Post a Comment